Dasada MLA Naushad Solanki wants an investigation into the death of labourers at units of Chiripal Group in the city.
In a letter to Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, Solanki alleged that despite several labourer deaths, no action was taken against the company owners.
Four labourers died On July 18 after they entered an effluent treatment plant of Vishal Fabrics to clean it.
The unit is located in Dhodi Village of Dholka taluka in Ahmedabad district.
Earlier seven labourers were killed after a fire in Nandan Denims factory in Narol.
Both Nandan Denim and Vishal Fabrics are part of Chiripal Group.
Also Read: BJP councillor accuses three women of attack
The letter said that despite several such incidents the financial might of the owners ensured that the investigation never reached their doors.
He further said that the units face safety inspection every year but that is only on paper.
Solanki further said no action has so far been taken against the owners despite a fortnight of the incident.
He said the units are supposed to have safety equipment and protocols in place. “Yet they lack the same. Even when they are available they are not in working condition,” the letter said.
He said regular inspection of these equipment and protocols are also not done.
Questions raised by the MLA ?
- What were the terms under which the labourers, who died in the recent accident, were hired?
- Who asked the labourers to clean the effluent treatment plant?
- Did the company attempt to provide first aid to workers?
- What was the cause of death? Has the police taken any action against the accused?
- What compensation was paid to the families of the victim?
- Despite several such incidents why has the government not taken any action against the owners of the group?