Gujarat Exclusive > National-World > Tamil Nadu: Cop arrested in custodial death case dies

Tamil Nadu: Cop arrested in custodial death case dies


A special sub-inspector, arrested in the Thoothukudi police custody violence case, died due to coronavirus at the Madurai government hospital In Tamil Nadu on Monday morning.

Pauldurai, the special SI, was one of the ten policemen arrested for the deaths of Jayaraj and his son Benicks. The father-son duo had died allegedly due to custodial torture at a police station in Tamil Nadu during the lockdown period. The incident took place in Sattankulam police station in Thoothukudi district in June.

Diagnosed with COVID-19 in jail

Shortly after his arrest on July 8 by the CB-CID, Pauldurai (56) was remanded to judicial custody and lodged in the Madurai Central prison. A few days later, he fell ill and was diagnosed with COVID-19 on July 24.

As a result, he was admitted to the corona ward of the Madurai Rajaji Government Hospital. He was diabetic and also had hypertension, which made him more vulnerable to the coronavirus.

Wrongly implicated, claims wife

His wife had petitioned the Madurai Police Commissioner that her husband had been wrongly implicated in the case. She claimed that he had been only on a temporary posting at the Sattankulam police station.

Also Read: Gujarat revenue minister’s brother commits suicide

She also claimed that he was not on duty when Jayaraj and Benicks were tortured at the station.

Denied proper treatment

The deceased cop’s wife also alleged that he was being denied proper treatment for COVID-19, which had endangered his life.

She had sought his transfer to a private hospital and assured that the family would spend for the treatment. But the authorities had informed her that since he was a remand prisoner, she had to approach the court to transfer him to a private hospital.

Wife was planning to approach court for better treatment

Even as Pauldurai’s wife was planning to approach the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Monday, the news of his death reached the family early morning.

In fact, four of the six-member CBI team, now probing the case, had also tested positive for Corona and have recovered.


To read the latest news in Gujarati click here