The iconic Taj Mahal in Agra was temporarily shut and tourists were evacuated following a bomb scare call that triggered panic on Thursday morning.
Security agencies conducted thorough checks to ensure the safety of the structure as well as people, but eventually, no bomb was found and it turned out to be a hoax call. The entry of visitors again resumed after 11 am.
Bomb hoax call
Notably, a bomb scare call was received by the Uttar Pradesh police helpline that an explosive device has been placed at the Taj Mahal. Following the call, security agencies immediately swung into action and teams were deployed at the Taj Mahal premises for search operations.
Earlier in the day, inspector general, Agra, A Satish Ganesh said, “This morning, an unknown person called on UP 112 and said there will be a bomb blast at the Taj Mahal. Immediately, as per SOP, our bomb squad and other teams conducted a thorough search of the premises. So far, our field units haven’t given any information of such an item being found. I would like to assure everyone that 99%, it is a hoax call. But we are following the drill.”
Agra’s superintendent of police (protocol) Shiv Ram Yadav said, “We have received information from the control room that a man called up saying that there are discrepancies in military recruitment and he was not recruited. A bomb is kept at the Taj Mahal which will explode soon. Security check is being done around Taj Mahal.”
Not the first time
Earlier too, an unidentified caller had said that bombs have been planted at Taj Mahal, but after a thorough search, it turned out to be a hoax call. The iconic structure was reopened for tourists in September last year post months of lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
To read the latest news in Gujarati click here