India has launched ‘Operation Kaveri’ to bring back its citizens stranded in war-torn Sudan, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said on Monday, adding that the government is “committed to assisting all brethren in Sudan.” According to media reports, the minister also informed that around 500 Indians have reached Port Sudan so far, while more are “on their way”.
“Operation Kaveri gets underway to bring back our citizens stranded in Sudan. Our ships and aircraft are set to bring them back home,” Jaishankar tweeted – sharing a picture of evacuated citizens.
Operation Kaveri gets underway to bring back our citizens stranded in Sudan.
About 500 Indians have reached Port Sudan. More on their way.
Our ships and aircraft are set to bring them back home.
Committed to assist all our bretheren in Sudan. pic.twitter.com/8EOoDfhlbZ
— Dr. S. Jaishankar (@DrSJaishankar) April 24, 2023
On Sunday, the foreign ministry said that India is making “every effort to ensure the safety and security of its citizens stranded in Sudan”. The ministry said in a statement, “We are closely monitoring the complex and evolving security situation in Sudan. We are also coordinating closely with various partners for the safe movement of those Indians who are stranded in Sudan and would like to be evacuated.”