Gujarat Exclusive > Gujarat news > Shrey Hospital Fire: Gujarat to see first COVID-19 post-mortem

Shrey Hospital Fire: Gujarat to see first COVID-19 post-mortem

0
493

Gujarat on Thursday saw what is believed to be the first post-mortem of a COVID-19 patient in the state.

The bodies of all the eight people who died in the fire in the ICU of Shrey Hospital in Ahmedabad were sent for a post mortem on Thursday.

 

Five men and three women under treatment for COVID-19 at Shrey Hospital died after a fire early morning on Thursday.

A short-circuit is believed to have caused the fire.

Civil Hospital officials said that since COVID-19 is a highly contagious disease, post-mortem of COVID-19 patients is not carried out. 

They are cremated immediately after their death. 

The Officer on Special Duty at Civil Hospital Dr MM Prabhakar said, “Post-mortem of COVID-19 patients is carried out in other countries but we don’t do it here. But in this case, the deceased are COVID-19 patients but are accident victims too and hence a post-mortem has to be conducted,” said Prabhakar.

Also Read: Eight dead in early morning fire at Shrey Hospital in Ahmedabad

He said doctors and attendants will take all precautions including use of PPE kit while the post mortem is being conducted.

“It is in all probability the first time that the post-mortem of a COVID-19 patient is being carried out in Gujarat.

But it is surely the first such case of Ahmedabad,” he said.

Condolences pour in for Shrey Hospital Fire victims

Party leaders across the state paid their condolences in the incident. Gujarat BJP President C R Paatil called it a sad incident and that he will pray for the recovery of the injured.

Meanwhile, hospital trustee Bharat Mahant and a ward boy have been detained by Navrangpura Police. Mahant is also associated with the BJP.

PM Narendra Modi announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 Lakhs each from Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF) to the next of kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 for the injured.

 Congress criticises corruption in AMC

GPCC president Amit Chavda expressed condolence over the loss of life in the incident. 

In a tweet, he said that the inefficiency and corruption of the Vijay Rupani government and the AMC have resulted in repeated incidents of fire in the city and loss of life. 

“People were already succumbing to COVID-19, unfortunately, they are now falling prey to the indifference of the administration,” tweeted Chavda.

Congress leader Shaktisinh Gohil in a tweet said, “My condolences to families of #Shrey Hospital fire tragedy victims. Gujarat is a hotspot of corruption. Now, next few days all focus will be on fire safety & then it will be “managed” by CM.”

To read the latest news in Gujarati click here

Read all Gujarat updates with Gujarat today