New Delhi: The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) will be held as per schedule. The Supreme Court on Monday rejected a plea seeking postponement of NEET which, as per the current schedule, will be held on September 12. It allowed the petitioners to make a representation to National Testing Agency (NTA) if they wished.
The plea had been made by a group of students who claimed that if held on the said date, NEET would clash with other exams.
The petition was filed through advocate Sumanth Nookala. It sought for quashing of the July 13 notification that stated that the NEET for undergraduate courses would be held on September 12.
The petitioners urged the apex court to issue orders for shifting the date to a more suitable one after the ongoing exams.
Earlier, NTA, while defending its decision to hold NEET on September 12, had said that non-declaration of results of class 12 would not prevent aspirants from taking the exam, as results would be required only during counselling.
The matter came up before a three-judge bench of Justice AM Khanwilkar, Justice Hrishikesh Roy and Justice CT Ravikumar
While declining to hear the petition, the SC bench observed that the undergraduate entrance exam will be taken by approximately 16 lakh students and cannot be postponed for just a few students.
To read the latest news in Gujarati click here