The Supreme Court on Tuesday approved the evaluation scheme proposed by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) to calculate the marks for class 12 students who could not appear in board exams due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The apex court rejected the pleas by parents and students while holding the CBSE and CISCE’s proposals as “fair and reasonable”.
Compartment exams to be held
Over a thousand students had approached the apex court seeking directions to CBSE to cancel class 12 private and compartmental examinations and parity with regular students.
“There is no reason to interfere with the CBSE and ICSE schemes,” the court said rejecting a plea for cancelling the compartment exams for Class 12. It also accepted the CBSE’s plan to hold the compartment exams between August 15 and September 15.
What CBSE said
CBSE had earlier submitted an affidavit in the court saying that a panel would be set up to deal with disputes on the computation of results. It also said an online facility for registration would be made available for optional exams for those not satisfied with the assessment policy and that the marks scored in these will be treated as final.
Board exams cancelled
Earlier this month, CBSE and CISCE cancelled their class 12 board exams owing to the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic that wreaked havoc in India. The boards had already announced the cancellation of class 10 exams.
Announcing the cancellation of class 12 board exams, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had said that the decision was taken with the health of students on top priority. After the announcement, several state boards had cancelled their class 12 board exams.
Although the daily surge in COVID-19 cases and deaths have significantly declined, experts have said a third wave of the pandemic is inevitable.
To read the latest news in Gujarati click here