The state government is yet to decide on whether Navratri will be allowed given the rising COVID-19 situation in the state. But the Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC) on Thursday issued a tender for Navratri, which was put on hold after an uproar.
The SMC issued the tender to give its indoor stadium on rent for Navratri. The festival falls in October. Surat sees big Navratri celebrations and the indoor stadium is one of the most sought after venues for Navratri.
The SMC had issued a notice seeking tender from interested parties to give the indoor stadium on rent from October 17 to 25 for the nine days of Navratri.
The advertisement had sought application up to October 1 which had to be submitted to the office of the SMC. It also sought Rs2 lakh as a deposit for the same.
The tender created a buzz in the city because the state government has so far not given its nod to hold celebrations.
SMC puts Navratri tender on hold
It also raised the question as to how can the SMC seek tender for a venue when it is not sure if the festival will be allowed to be held or not.
SMC standing committee chairman Anil Goplani said the state has not clarified whether the festival will be allowed to be held or not.
He said the SMC issued the tender as it did not want a last-minute rush if the government finally gave the nod for Navratri. He said the SMC has now decided to halt the tender process until clarity from the Centre or the state about the festival.
It should be noted that public processions and celebrations associated with Muharram, Ganesh Chaturthi and several other festivals in August were banned given the COVID-19 situation.
Recently Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel had said that the government may allow the festivities subject to certain protocols and restrictions.
To read the latest news in Gujarati click here