Gujarat Exclusive > National-World > Indian Army refutes China’s claim of crossing LAC

Indian Army refutes China’s claim of crossing LAC

0
266

The Indian Army has refuted China’s claim that it crossed the Line of Actual Control (LAC) or fired any warning shots. The Indian Army’s strong denial came after China accused India of illegally crossing the LAC and firing warning shots near the southern bank of the Pangong Tso Lake.

Instead, the Army blamed China of continuously indulging in provocative activities in the eastern Ladakh region

“At no stage has the Indian Army transgressed across the LAC or resorted to the use of any aggressive means, including firing. It is the PLA that has been blatantly violating agreements and carrying out aggressive manoeuvres, while engagement at the military, diplomatic and political level is in progress,” the Indian Army said.

China claims Indian troops crossed LAC

A Chinese military spokesperson had earlier said the Indian troops “illegally crossed the Line of Actual Control on Monday”. He claimed that the Indian Army outrageously fired warning shots on Chinese border patrol soldiers who were about to negotiate.”

Senior Colonel Zhang Shuili, spokesperson of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Western Theater Command, added that Chinese troops took the “countermeasures to stabilize the situation”.

India counters Chinese claims

In its response, India said: “In the instant case on September 7, 2020, it was the PLA troops who were attempting to close-in with one of our forward positions along the LAC. When dissuaded by own troops, PLA troops fired a few rounds in the air in an attempt to intimidate own troops. However, despite the grave provocation, own troops exercised great restraint and behaved in a mature and responsible manner.”

China’s unsuccessful attempt

Recently, Chinese troops indulged in provocative action in the southern bank of Pangong Tso Lake. They tried to change the status quo. However, their attempts in this regard were thwarted by the Indian Army.

Also Read: India reports 1,133 COVID-19 deaths in a day

Following Chinese attempts, India has bolstered its presence in the area. India occupied a number of strategic heights on the southern bank of Pangong Tso Lake. Additionally, it strengthened its presence in Finger 2 and Finger 3 areas in the region to thwart any Chinese actions. China has strongly objected to India’s move. However, India has maintained that the strategic heights are on its side of the LAC.

India-China clash of June 15

The stand-off between India and China which started in April-May peaked on June 15. The stand-off intensified after 20 Indian soldiers were killed in a clash with Chinese troops at the Galwan Valley.

Some 40 Chinese soldiers were killed or injured in the clash. However, Beijing never confirmed the number of casualties on its side. The two nations had agreed on disengagement since, but the withdrawal of troops is yet to be completed.

Chinese soldiers continue to occupy positions in depth on slopes along Finger 5 and on slopes extending towards Finger 8, satellite pictures showed.

India believes the Line of Actual Control lies at Finger 8, near Fort Khurnak, a historic site in the area. China believes the LAC is at Finger 4 and has prevented Indian soldiers from patrolling beyond the point since April.

 

To read the latest news in Gujarati click here