Gujarat Exclusive > National-World > India-China Dispute: India committed to maintaining bilateral ties, says Rajnath Singh

India-China Dispute: India committed to maintaining bilateral ties, says Rajnath Singh

0
175

India’s sustained talks with China have resulted in an agreement between the forces of the two countries to disengage at friction points at the north and south banks of Pangong Tso lake, Union defence minister Rajnath Singh said on Thursday.

Rajnath Singh said this during his suo motu statement in Rajya Sabha on the situation prevalent along the Line of Actual Control (LAC). The statement comes a day after the Indian and Chinese troops initiated the process of disengagement along the border at eastern Ladakh.

What did Rajnath Singh say?

While asserting that India is committed to maintaining bilateral ties and peace along the border, Rajnath Singh said, “Our sustained talks with China have led to agreement on disengagement on the north and south banks of Pangong Lake. After this agreement, India-China will remove forward deployments in a phased, coordinated manner.”

“We are committed to maintaining a peaceful situation at the Line of Control. India has always emphasised on maintaining bilateral ties,” Singh said.

He added, “China has beefed up arms and ammunition and men on LAC points. We have mirrored the move to counter China. We have brave jawans who are at strategic points. And we have the edge at these points. And they have proven that they will do anything to maintain the integrity of the nation. We want both sides to respect the LAC. There is no change in unilateral LAC. We want that 2020’s forward deployment be removed in a phased manner.”

Also Read: 12,923 fresh COVID-19 cases, 70.17 lakh people vaccinated so far

“China occupied 38,000 sq km after 1962 war and 5,180 sq km given illegally by Pakistan to China in Ladakh. At Arunachal Pradesh border, China claims 90,000 sq km of Indian land. India has not accepted these unjustified demands. We have maintained that bilateral relations can prosper only if there are efforts from both sides. I am happy to announce that we have lost nothing in the dialogue with China. We have an agreement on disengagement on North and South Banks of Pangong. Our security forces have proved that they are ready to face any challenge to protect the sovereignty of the country,” he said.

Tension between India-China

Tensions had escalated manifold between India and China after the Galwan Valley clashes in eastern Ladakh on June 15 in which 20 Indian Army personnel were killed. The Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) also suffered an unspecified number of casualties.

 

To read the latest news in Gujarati click here