Gujarat Exclusive > National-World > Hathras gangrape: Protest intensify outside Delhi hospital where UP woman died

Hathras gangrape: Protest intensify outside Delhi hospital where UP woman died


Protests have intensified outside the Delhi hospital where the 19-year-old Hathras gangrape victim died. The father and brother of the woman who was gangraped and tortured by four upper-caste men in UP two weeks ago have refused to leave the hospital until they are told where her body is.

The women died at the Delhi hospital this morning. Apart from her family, activists are also camping outside the Safdarjung Hospital demanding to be told of the location of her body.

Visuals from the hospital showed people gathered around a black Scorpio SUV with UP number plates and police trying to force the father and brother of the victim into the vehicle.

Media reports quoted the family as claiming that they are being forced to return to Hathras and alleged that the officials are trying to dispose of the woman’s body in secret.

Also Read: Gujarat COVID-19 Update: 1,381 new cases recorded

The family has refused to budge until they are told of the whereabouts of the Hathras gangrape victim’s body and are assured justice.

Four men who allegedly raped her are already in jail they will also be now charged with murder.

Police said the protests pose a threat as no one is following social distancing norms or wearing masks.

Families of other patients in the hospital have also voiced concern over the protest.

What is the Hathras gangrape case?

The 20-year-old woman was attacked on September 14 at Hathras village. She told the cops that she was dragged by her dupatta into the fields where she had been cutting grass.

The family later found her in the fields, naked and bleeding, with injuries on her neck and back.

She suffered multiple fractures, paralysis and a deep gash in her tongue in the assault. The injuries to her neck left her paralysed and struggling to breathe, media reports said.

Her family has alleged that the police did not help them initially and only reacted after public outrage over the incident.

UP police denied that her tongue was cut off and said she bit her tongue when her attackers were trying to strangle her.

News of her death led to protests outside the hospital with the Bhim Army of Chandrashekhar Azad blocking roads for 10-15 minutes and protesters chanting ‘hang the rapists’. There has been an outpouring of grief and anger from politicians, celebrities and others.

The UP police initially registered an attempt to murder case but added rape charges only after the woman’s formal statement. They have denied the family’s allegation of slow response.


To read the latest news in Gujarati click here