Of all the six municipal corporations that went to polls on Sunday, it was the result of the Surat Municipal Corporation that stunned everyone. The Diamond City gave a surprising result this Tuesday. Here are the highlights…
- In a first since independence, the Congress has returned empty-handed in the Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC) elections. It failed to win even a single seat.
- The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) made its debut victory in Gujarat by winning 27 seats in the 120 seat SMC. The BJP won 93 seats.
- Congress was hit hard by the Patidars who had called upon the community to boycott the party for not giving tickets to several Patidar leaders.
- The antagonism of the Patidars with Congress also benefited the BJP.
- Congress workers burned effigies of local leaders to protest the party’s poor performance.
- Surat in all has 30 wards of which BJP won in 21. In six wards, the AAP won while in one ward, two seats went to BJP and AAP each while in another ward, one seat went to AAP.
- Suat City Congress chief Babu Rayka resigned from the post following the party’s poor performance.
- The AAP is the new opposition in the SMC.
- After its fight with Congress, the Patidars had announced that they would back AAP. A lot of wards where they won are Patidar-dominated wards.
To read the latest news in Gujarati click here