Gujarat Exclusive > Gujarat news > Rajkot gangrape case: Third accused Maldev nabbed from Nainital

Rajkot gangrape case: Third accused Maldev nabbed from Nainital


The Ahmedabad Crime Branch has nabbed the main conspirator in the Rajkot gangrape case in which a 23-year-old woman who was lured with the promise of a job. 

The woman was later gangraped and raped multiple times in different locations. She was once raped in a car after being threatened with a gun by the accused and his friends.

Cops nabbed Maldev Bharwad from Nainital. Three of the five accused in the case have been arrested so far. Earlier cops had arrested Pragnesh Patel and Jitendrapuri Goswami in the gangrape case.

The cops had been on the lookout for Maldev Bharwad in Udaipur, Amritsar, Punjab, Chandigarh, Mathura, Banaras, Uttarakhand among others.

The probe also revealed that several cases have been registered against Maldev in Aslali, Vatva, Sola, Ghatlodia, and Sarkhej police stations of the city under various sections.

What is the Rajkot gangrape case

As per a complaint registered with the Ahmedabad West Mahila Police station, the 23-year-old resident of Rajkot, Kavya (name changed) accused Pragnesh Patel, Jitendrapuri Goswami, Jaymin Patel, Maldev Bharwad and Neelam Patel of gangrape. All the accused are residents of Ahmedabad.

Maldev Bharwad approached Kavya through Snapchat and sent her a friend request. They then began to talk and Bharwad promised to get her a corporate job and even met her at the Radisson Blu cafe near Law Garden. There she met Pragnesh and Jitendrapuri. Both promised to get her a job.

They then called her to Abu to introduce her to their friend who was into corporate event management. He then told her that his friend had gone to Udaipur and so made her stay at the Radisson Blu hotel. There they laced her drink with drugs and once unconscious raped her.

Also Read: Jayanti Bhanushali murder case: Gujarat high court grants interim bail to Chhabil Patel to attend son’s wedding

They took pictures and videos of the same. When Kavya created a ruckus in the morning after finding herself naked with the men, they apologised and convinced her to stay silent since it would lead to her embarrassment as well. Kavya then returned to Ahmedabad and left for Goa.

Pragnesh and Maldev once again got in touch with her and this time told her that they had not only found her a job but one that would also provide accommodation. They then called her and made her stay at Marvel flats in South Bopal.

Victim blackmailed and gangraped several times

On October 2, they sent her to meet their friend in Gandhidham with her biodata. They accompanied her in a car and the hotel began to take drugs.

They also showed Kavya pictures and videos of her rape in Udaipur hotel. They threatened to leak it online and then raped her in the hotel.

While returning to Ahmedabad the two also raped her again in the car. On their way home, when they stopped at a petrol pump, Kavya managed to escape from the car and got into the petrol pump office.


To read the latest news in Gujarati click here