Gujarat cadre 1998 batch IPS officer Praveen Sinha has been appointed as the interim director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
The Centre announced the name of Sinha as the interim CBI director after incumbent director Rishi Kumar Shukla’s tenure came to an end on Wednesday. Shukla joined the agency on February 4, 2019.
The notification announcing Sinha’s appointment said the cop will take over as CBI director with immediate effect. Praveen Sinha at present serves as the additional director of the CBI.
A meeting of the high powered committee, made up of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Chief justice SA Bobde and Leader of Congress in Loksabha Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, to appoint the CBI chief was delayed due to the farmers protest.
It may take some more days before the government comes up with a name for the CBI director’s post.
Other contenders for CBI directors post
- YC Modi a 1984 batch officer of the Assam-Meghalaya cadre who is currently the director general of the National Investigation Agency.
- Rakesh Asthana, a 1984 batch Gujarat cadre IPS officer who is at present the DG of the Border Security Force.
- 1985 batch Maharashtra cadre officer Subodh Kumar Jaiswal, DG of the Central Industrial Security Force.
- UP cadre’s 1985 batch officer H C Awasthy the DGP of Uttar Pradesh.
- 1984 batch officer of Haryana cadre S S Deswal
- 1985 officer of Kerala cadre Loknath Behera, the DGP of Kerala.
To read the latest news in Gujarati click here