The BJP won all the eight seats which saw bypolls in Gujarat. The seats were left vacant after Congress MLAs who won the seat in the 2017 assembly elections resigned from the party ahead of the Rajya Sabha polls.
Five of these MLAs joined the BJP and contested on the same seats from which they had resigned. BJP won Dangs with the highest lead while in Morbi it got away with a slim one.
Performance in the bypolls
|Abdasa||Pradyumansinh Jadeja||Shantilal Sanghani||36778|
|Dhari||JV Kakadia||Suresh Kotadiya||17209|
|Dangs||Vijay Patel||Suryakant Govit||60095|
|Limdi||Kiritsinh Rana||Chetan Khachar||32050|
|Morbi||Brijesh Merja||Jayanti Patel||4649|
|Gadhada||Atmaram Parmar||Mohan Solan||23295|
|Karjan||Akshay Patel||Kiritsinj Jadeja||16425|
|Kaprada||Jitu Chaudhary||Babu Vartha||47066|
Highlights of the bypolls
- Pradyumansinh Jadeja became the first candidate to repeatedly win the Abdasa seat.
- Kirtisinh Rana of the BJP won Limdi. This is the third time Rana has been elected from the seat. He had earlier won the seat in 1995 and 2013.
- Akshay Patel in Karjan received over 76,000 votes.
- Dhari, believed to be a Congress bastion voted for BJPs JV Kakadia although his lead saw a dip.
- BJP won Dangs with a victory margin of 60,095, the highest in the bypolls.
- Morbi eventually came into the BJP’s kitty after giving its candidate Brijesh Merja a scare. Initially, Congress had a slim lead over the BJP. BJP eventually won it but by a slight margin.
- Kaprada was won by Jitu Chaudhary of the BJP. Both Congress and BJP had accused each other of foul play on this seat during the polls.
To read the latest news in Gujarati click here