The Gujarat High Court has asked the government to take strict action against those violating COVID-19 norms. It pointed out to the gatherings that are happening in religious ceremonies and political rallies in violation of COVID-19 norms.
A division bench of Chief Justice Vikramnath and JB Pardiwala of Gujarat High Court asked the state government to ensure that all those who violate COVID-19 norms including not wearing masks are fined.
The Gujarat high court also pointed out to the Muharram procession that was taken out in Khambhat where social distancing and wearing of masks was not done. It said the 3 km long procession was carried out in violation of rules and that the police were mute spectators.
The court also sought a reply from the Anand District Collector and police chief in this connection.
The court also said that many political leaders were also carrying out rallies and programmes where neither the leaders nor the people attending them were wearing masks.
Also Read: Gujarat COVID-19 Update: 1,327 new cases
Some recent violations by political leaders
- Ahmedabad Mayor Bijal Patel was photographed without a mask at a programme at her bungalow. A picture of the programme went viral where everyone except the mayor was wearing a mask. She was not fined by the authorities.
- She attended a project inauguration on Monday where again Bijal Patel and other BJP leaders did not maintain social distancing. This time however all of them were wearing a mask.
- BJP Gujarat president CR Patil had gathered rallies in Saurashtra and North Gujarat and almost in all rallies, social distancing was not maintained. Many attendees in the rally also did not wear a mask.
- A rally carried out by Congress leaders against the farm bill also saw a violation of both social distancing and mask rule
- At a programme in Deesa, BJP MLAShashikant Pandya gathered a crowd violating all norms
- Vav MLA Geniben Thakor was seen visiting a temple in Nathpura in Kankrej without a mask.
To read the latest news in Gujarati click here