The Gujarat government on Wednesday presented its budget for the year 2021-22. Finance minister Nitin Patel allocated a substantial sum for both the education, health, and urban development in the state. It should be noted that schools and colleges in the state had been shut down for over a year as the state battled the COVID pandemic.
The state also released an app Gujarat Budget to allow government officials, legislators, and others to access budgetary provisions on their mobile phones.
The mobile app covers budgetary allocations for 27 departments, budget highlights, and even the finance minister’s speech among others.
Patel told the House that as the budget publication was being made available online, the government would print only 20% of the material and save 55 lakh pages.
Here is the budget allocation for each sector
- Rs32,719 crore was allocated for the education sector.
- Rs11,323 crore was given for the health and family welfare department that is also at the forefront of the state’s battle against COVID.
- Urban development got Rs13,493 crore while water resources got Rs5,494 crore.
- Rs13,034 crore has been allocated for the energy and petrochemical sector, Rs910 crore for the climate change department in the budget.
- The industry and mines department got Rs6,599 crore, the forest and environment department got Rs1814 crore and the home department was allocated Rs7960 crore.
- Rs3,974 crore was given for water supply and Rs7,232 crore for the Krishi Khedut Kalyan Yojana.
- The social justice and empowerment department got Rs4,353 crore while Rs1,502 crore went for labour welfare and employment.
- The state will allocate Rs1500 crore to develop the Ahmedabad-Mumbai bullet train
- Roads and buildings department got Rs11,185 crore and ports and transport got Rs1,478 crore in the budget.
- Food and civil supplies got Rs1,224 crore, science, and technology Rs563 crore while revenue department got Rs4548 crore.
- Rs1,032 crore has been set aside for pension for the destitute and old people.
To read the latest news in Gujarati click here