Explosions and gunfire continued for a fourth straight day in Sudan as the army and a powerful rival force battled in the streets for control of the country. According to the United Nations, the death toll on Tuesday mounted to around 200, with more than 1,800 people being injured. Meanwhile, amid the violent clashes, the European Union ambassador to the nation Aidan O’Hara was attacked in his home in Khartoum on Monday.
The violence erupted on Saturday – after weeks of power struggles between Sudan’s army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and his deputy, Mohamed Hamdan Daglo.
According to media reports, the European Union’s ambassador to Sudan Aidan O’Hara was attacked in his home in Khartoum on Monday, the bloc’s top diplomat Josep Borrell said. The veteran diplomat is unhurt and “ok” following the assault, AFP reported citing a spokesperson. Borrell said, “Security of diplomatic premises and staff is a primary responsibility of Sudanese authorities and an obligation under international law.”
As the violence continued for the fourth straight day, the death toll has risen to around 200, the United Nations said. It also reported that over 1,800 people have been wounded so far. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Tuesday expressed concerns over the fighting in Sudan and said that it has led to “horrendous loss of life”.
According to ANI, Indian Embassy in Sudan issues precautionary advisory for Indian nationals against venturing out, suggest rationing supplies.
Indian Embassy in Sudan issues precautionary advisory for Indian nationals against venturing out, suggest rationing supplies
Read @ANI Story |https://t.co/608kS1hBJD#IndiainSudan #advisory #Indiannationals #Sudan pic.twitter.com/SJ5NYmfK0T
— ANI Digital (@ani_digital) April 18, 2023
Meanwhile, A U.S. diplomatic convoy came under fire on Monday in Sudan, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Tuesday, adding that initial reports suggested that it was carried out by forces associated with Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces. Blinken said he spoke in separate phone conversations earlier on Tuesday to General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, commander of the Sudanese Armed Forces, and General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, head of the RSF, and said that any danger posed to American diplomats was unacceptable.