Ahmedabad: The Congress organised a Pratikar rally to protest the Hathras gangrape in Uttar Pradesh. Even before the protest could begin several Congress leaders were detained by the city police.
LIVE Updates Pratikar rally….
- The rally did not have permission and hence several people were detained
- Shashikant Patel, Dinesh Sharma among those detained
- Congress spokesperson Manish Doshi also detained
- Over 100 Congress workers detained
- We are protesting to ensure Hathras rape victim gets justice: Amit Chavda
- MLA Gyasuddin Sheikh and GPCC president Amit Chavda detained
- GPCC president Amit Chavda joins rally
- Congress MLA Naushad Solanki detained
- Congress workers detained near Kochrab Ashram
- Police cordon off area near townhall
- Police and Congress workers clash
- Imran Khedawala put under house arrest
Commenting on the detention of leaders MLA Naushad Solanki said that it was unfortunate that the Gujarat government did not allow for the rally and detained leaders. “The Gujarat police is walking in the footsteps of Uttar Pradesh police,” said Solanki.
So far Gujarat Congress working president, Hardik Patel, Danilimda MLA Shailesh Parmar have been detained. Hardik has interestingly been detained in connection with an old case against him in Dhrangadhra. He was detained at his house in the morning before he could join the rally.
Police have also put MLA Imran Khedawala and Vav MLA Jignesh Mewani under house arrest.
The Congress had organised the Pratikar rally from Kochrab Ashram to Sabarmati Ashram to protest the Hathras rape incident. Police were already put in place to prevent any untoward incident.
To read the latest news in Gujarati click here
As Congress workers clashed with police, three women workers of the party were detained. Police sources said the Congress did not have the permission to hold the rally.