BJP once again got to rule the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) as the party won 159 seats in the civic body while Congress won just 25 seats. AIMIM that is contesting the polls for the first time in Gujarat has won seven seats while one seat has been won by an independent.
Here are other interesting facts about the AMC poll results…
- Congress has performed poorly in the AMC elections.
- Former leader of opposition in the AMC Dinesh Sharma also lost from the Chandkheda ward.
- Congress Ahmedabad city president Shashikant Patel has resigned from his post following the poor performance of the party in the AMC elections.
- Apart from BJP and Congress, the AAP and AIMIM were also in the fray for the elections.
- AIMIM pocketed all four seats in the Jamalpur ward and three seats in the Maktampura ward. AIMIM’s victory came at the cost of the Congress which won only one seat from Makhtampura.
- AAP did not win a single seat.
- BJP’s entire panel won in 22 wards.
- Congress won the entire panel in four wards. One of the wards that the Congress won from is Daripur where it has never lost an election. It was believed that AIMIM would have an impact but that was not the case.
- But another bastion of the Congress, Jamalpur was lost to the AIMIM.
To read the latest news in Gujarati click here