Aaquib Chhipa, Ahmedabad: Almost 70% of candidates contesting for the 8 seats in Gujarat where bypolls will be held on November 3 are undergraduates. 58 of 80 candidates representing various parties are undergraduates according to the data released by ADR (Association for Democratic Reform)
According to the data, 19 out of a total of 80 candidates contesting the bypolls have studied till class 10. 46 candidates have not cleared the class 12 exams making them 57% of the total candidates.
23 candidates have degrees higher than a graduate and three candidates are illiterate. Interestingly of the total 16 candidates from BJP and Congress contesting the bypolls eight are undergraduates. This includes four from BJP and Congress each.
BJP undergraduate candidates in bypolls
- Turncoat MLA Akshay Patel is contesting from Karjan and has studied till class 12. He has assets worth Rs5 crore.
- Kiritsinh Rana from Limdi has studied up to class 10 and has total assets worth Rs2.22 crores.
- Vijay Patel contesting from Dang holds total asset of Rs1.57 crore and has studied till Class 10.
- Jitu Chaudhari from Kaprada has studied till class 8 and has assets worth Rs1.44 crore.
Congress udergraduate candidates
- Mohan Solanki from Gadhada studied till class 8. Assets worth Rs8.60 cr.
- Chetan Khachar from Limdi seat studied up to class 12 and has Rs5cr of assets.
- Babu Patel from Kaprada studied till class 10 and has Rs52 lakh of assets
- Suresh Kotadiya from Dhari seat studied till class 12 and has assets worth Rs1.51cr
Only three women candidates are contesting in the bypolls this time. Of the 80 candidates assessed by ADR, 35 are above the age of 50 years.
In all 81 candidates are contesting the bypolls but the affidavits of only 80 were analysed.
To read the latest news in Gujarati click here